Monday, October 6, 2008

Two videos about folding...

Having once worked at a company chock full of engineers, this first clip has a special resonance for me. But I have to admit, when I saw how well it worked I considered, just for a few seconds, making one myself.

Then I snapped out of it.




This next one is a clip from Philip Morrison's 1987 PBS program "The Ring of Truth: Atoms" featuring chef Kin Jing Mark making noodles to demonstrate the principle of halving.

It's a great example of using metaphor to explain esoteric scientific concepts that are, let's face it, becoming so specialized and counter-intuitive that it's hard for a regular guy to keep up.



I just love how proud Chef Mark is at the end. That expression on his face is, I think, what pure joy looks like.

No comments: