Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dumb-ass #2 rings the apology bell…

After a crassly anti-Semitic letter to the editor in last Sunday’s The Times and Democrat out of Orangeburg, South Carolina, Edwin O. Merwin Jr. joined fellow Republican operative James S. Ulmer Jr. in an apology.

From the very same Times and Democrat where they made their initial gaffe…

Ulmer wrote: “Last week I co-authored a letter to the editor which focused on the vital importance of reining in the unsustainable and excessive federal government spending which is going on currently in Washington, D.C. In one of the paragraphs which I wrote, I quoted a statement which I have heard many times in my life, truly in admiration for a method of bettering one’s lot in life.

“I admit that perception is indeed reality to many and that I could have certainly worded that sentence much better. I sincerely apologize for this great error. If I had quoted that great man from Pennsylvania, Ben Franklin, using his, ‘A penny saved is a penny earned,’ I doubt I would be writing this note.

“I meant absolutely nothing derogatory by the reference to a great and honorable people. I hope that anyone and all who were offended by my comment will accept my humble apology.”

Merwin wrote: At this time I wish to deeply apologize for any material included in that letter that would be considered anti-Semitic in any way. I have always abhorred in the past, and shall continue to do so in the future, anti-Semitism in any form what so ever. I concur fully with the apology offered by my co-author, Jim Ulmer, and likewise beg that any and all who were offended will accept my deep felt apology.”

So there it is. I hope you enjoyed the peak behind the curtain.

And oh by the way, shouldn’t someone at The Times and Democrat be held accountable also? Exactly what kind of letter wouldn’t they publish anyway?

No comments: