Monday, November 2, 2009

Ye Gads. 2009 is almost in the can.

And that means that “The Aughts” are almost over too.

I remember New Years Eve in 1999…I was just moving back to Boston from San Antonio, Texas…I spent New Years Eve with FOT’s (“Friend of Tim’s”) Bob and VA at a party in Washington DC…we waited for the electrical grid to fail and our nuclear arsenal to launch without provocation thanks to the Y2K bug…I remember the hosts of the party had a big coffee table book with pictures of prominent people from the century including Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin who was the first man in space…I remember that I smoked a cigar and my head spun for 10 minutes…

The next morning the lights still worked and the earth was still spinning on its axis and “The Aughts” began in earnest with a crushing red-wine and cigar hangover. Life has more or less rumbled and lurched onward ever since.

I switched jobs a few times, dated a few people, got married and had a son. I bought a condo and sold it. I bought a house and a car. I got lost in the fog on a boat one night. I had a couple of surgeries. I thought I had it all figured out and then realized that I didn’t.

And I’m sitting here in November of 2009 still nostalgic for the 90’s for cryin’ out loud!

Shit. Just like at work…I’m falling behind. Nothing I can do about the clock and the calendar though. Nothing besides look back on another decade and regret my mis-spent youth!

Which brings me to the point of this post in the first place. “You Aught To Remember” is a blog that lists “100 fashions, memes,personalities and ideas that shaped the first decade of the 21st Century.

No comments: